Tuesday 1 December 2020

Nanowrimo and the Reluctant Writer

For the past two years this kid never took part in Nanowrimo. Last year's Nanowrimo writing class was no different despite going through the process. This year also the child started with, "Do I have to attend the nanowrimo class as I am not writing a story."

I told this child to join me on this rollercoaster ride to pick a few skills while enjoying the process.  The child agreed. 

Although a little skeptical in the beginning, I gave up my English classes for this creative writing workshop. We've been going through all the elements of creative, narrative writing in depth and assignments to implement the learning.

 Last class this kid asked me, "Aunty! Is it too late to start the nanowrimo. As I am writing this story and want to develop it, can I use it for my Nanowrimo."

"It's not late yet," chorused the class drowning my voice in answer to the query.

The back and forth discussion, suggestions, corrections, modifications, improvisations - SubhanAllah! I am looking forward to each of these classes now.

Waiting to read this story of the fussy twins caught in a parallel dimension of their routine world and their adventure which brings them closer to each other despite their love-hate relationship.

Alhamdulillah online or offline, lockdown or no lockdown, this child's transformation to writing a novel spanning thousands of words is my treasured take away from this entire process. 

Masha Allah thoroughly enjoying this journey, Alhamdulillah.

- Naqeeb Sultana
Middle School English Faculty


No comments:

Post a Comment

Au Revoir

  Au Revoir  The crucible moment came for me when, 16 years ago, I pulled my 7 year old son from school. Once again. Thrice in four years. W...